At the begining of 2007, the works to enlarge and renew the museum began. Four years later San Telmo Museoa opened again its doors to the visitors with a renewed image, bigger spaces and services, offering a contents displayed acording to the new times. 
Tuesday - Saturday: 
10.30 a.m. - 13.30 p.m. 
16.00 p.m. - 19.30 p.m.
Sundays and holidays: 
10.30 a.m. - 14.00 p.m.
Mondays closed
Tel. 943 48 15 76
One of the most outstanding characteristics of the municipal museum of San Telmo is the building itself in which the museum is housed. Here we have a former Dominican friary, built at the foot of Monte Urgull in the mid sixteenth century. It was thanks to the patronage of Alonso de Idiaquez, a nobleman of Gipuzkoa and State Secretary to the Emperor CharlesV, that the building was commenced in 1544, finishing in 1562. An analysis of the structure of the museum shows that the style of architecture is one of transition from the Gothic to the Renaissance, for although the structure is Gothic, the ground plan incorporates a series of Renaissance characteristics. One of the most original features of this former friary is the location of the cloister. This is usually found on one side of the church, but here, due to the proximity of theMount,  it is directly in front of the church entrance. In 1813 the city of Donostia-San Sebastian was put to sack and ruin, the Friary being badly damaged; and as from 1821 part of it was used as an artillery barracks. In 1836, after the alienation enforced by Mendizabal, the friars were expelled. In 1913 the building was declared historical monument, and bought by the Town Hall in 1928 to be inaugurated in 1932 as a museum.
In 1902 a series of art works collected for their Ethnological and Fine Arts Museum was installed in San Telmo by the Real Sociedad Vascongada de Amigos del Pais (Royal Society of Friends of the Basque Country). This collection had formerly been housed in a building between Garibay and Andia Streets, and later in anotherin Urdaneta Street in 1909.
The museum has a ground floor and two storeys. The ground floor comprises of the church and lower cloister, with the Archeology Section, exhibition halls and entrances. The first floor accomodates a good ethnographical collection and a picture gallery (with paintings from the Gothic age to the 20th century). Finally, the second storey is dedicated in its entirety to contemporary Basque painting. Sculptures are also to be found in several parts of the museum. Architecturally, the two most important parts of the museum are the cloister and the church. In the latter, XVIth century architecture and the XXth century  Sert canvases combine harmoniously.
Plaza Zuloaga, 1
Tel.: 943 48 15 80 - Fax: 943 48 15 81